Rosemary bought us tickets to see the Jefferson Starship Paul Kantner 71st birthday gala at the Ridgefield Playhouse on Thursday March 15th, 2012. This secures our first concert for calendar year 2012.
Jefferson Starship today consists of Paul Kantner, David Freiberg, Slick Aguilar, Donny Baldwin, Chris Smith, and Cathy Richardson.
There will also be a tribute to the late Papa John Creach who we saw play with Hot Tuna in 1970 and 1971.
I have listened to Blows Against The Empire and Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra the past few days.
Nona Hendryx is listed as a special guest star. You may remember her from Labelle who had the hit “Lady Marmalade“.
The concert listing also indicates there will be other guest stars appearing with Jefferson Starship that night. My personal wish is that it will include Marty Balin but I’m not confident he will be there.
Mimi Page is the opening act.
When I think of the music of Jefferson Starship, I am transported back to their premier recording, Blows Against the Empire (November, 1970). It echoes in my head and heart with a unique resonance these many years later.
I especially love the track, “Have You Seen The Stars Tonite”. I can visualize being on a deck in outer space, looking up through a clear glass ceiling floating amidst the stars.
Blows Against The Empire is an amazing blend of science fiction combined with a rich textured musical synergy. One can only imagine what life was like back then in the canyons above San Francisco as members of Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Quicksilver Messenger Service and friends communed and recorded together.
This amalgam of musicians became known as the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Empire.
I purchased today from the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Store the 3 CD set that includes the Blows Against The Empire deluxe edition, the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra CD (the sequel to Blows…) and the bonus Perro CD. When I have received these items and digested the music I will write an update blog post.
(Thanks to Wikipedia for the following information and for continually providing a great backdrop of music encyclopedia knowledge for research and blogging purposes.)
- Paul Kantner – vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, banjo, bass machine
- Grace Slick – piano, vocals
- Jerry Garcia – banjo on “Let’s Go Together”, pedal steel guitar on “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, sound effects and vocals on “XM”, lead guitar on “Starship”
- Bill Kreutzmann – drums on “Let’s Go Together”
- Mickey Hart – percussion on “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, sound effects and vocals on “XM”
- Joey Covington – drums and vocals on “Mau Mau”, congas on “Hijack”
- Jack Casady – bass on “A Child Is Coming” and “Sunrise”
- David Crosby – vocals and guitar on “A Child Is Coming” and “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, background vocals on “Starship”
- Graham Nash – congas on “Hijack”, sound effects on “Home”, background vocals on “Starship”
- David Freiberg – background vocals on “Starship”
- Harvey Brooks – bass on “Starship”
- Peter Kaukonen – lead guitar on “Mau Mau”
- Phill Sawyer – sound effects on “Home” and “XM”