When I think of the music of Jefferson Starship, I am transported back to their premier recording, Blows Against the Empire (November, 1970). It echoes in my head and heart with a unique resonance these many years later.
I especially love the track, “Have You Seen The Stars Tonite”. I can visualize being on a deck in outer space, looking up through a clear glass ceiling floating amidst the stars.
Blows Against The Empire is an amazing blend of science fiction combined with a rich textured musical synergy. One can only imagine what life was like back then in the canyons above San Francisco as members of Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Quicksilver Messenger Service and friends communed and recorded together.
This amalgam of musicians became known as the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Empire.
I purchased today from the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Store the 3 CD set that includes the Blows Against The Empire deluxe edition, the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra CD (the sequel to Blows…) and the bonus Perro CD. When I have received these items and digested the music I will write an update blog post.
(Thanks to Wikipedia for the following information and for continually providing a great backdrop of music encyclopedia knowledge for research and blogging purposes.)
- Paul Kantner – vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, banjo, bass machine
- Grace Slick – piano, vocals
- Jerry Garcia – banjo on “Let’s Go Together”, pedal steel guitar on “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, sound effects and vocals on “XM”, lead guitar on “Starship”
- Bill Kreutzmann – drums on “Let’s Go Together”
- Mickey Hart – percussion on “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, sound effects and vocals on “XM”
- Joey Covington – drums and vocals on “Mau Mau”, congas on “Hijack”
- Jack Casady – bass on “A Child Is Coming” and “Sunrise”
- David Crosby – vocals and guitar on “A Child Is Coming” and “Have You Seen the Stars Tonite”, background vocals on “Starship”
- Graham Nash – congas on “Hijack”, sound effects on “Home”, background vocals on “Starship”
- David Freiberg – background vocals on “Starship”
- Harvey Brooks – bass on “Starship”
- Peter Kaukonen – lead guitar on “Mau Mau”
- Phill Sawyer – sound effects on “Home” and “XM”
|1970||Blows Against the Empire by Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship||20||Gold (RIAA)|
|1971||If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby||12||Gold (RIAA)|
|Songs for Beginners by Graham Nash||15||Gold (RIAA)|
|Sunfighter by Paul Kantner and Grace Slick||89||—|
|1972||Graham Nash David Crosby by Graham Nash and David Crosby||4||Gold (RIAA)|
|Rolling Thunder by Mickey Hart||190||—|
|1973||Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun by Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, and David Freiberg||120||—|
|1983||Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra by Paul Kantner||—|
- Jefferson Airplane – Crown of Creation (musicofourheart.me)